Saturday, November 22, 2008

Old faithful(s)


This is a picture of my backpack and wallet.
I can't tell you how many people, from my best friend, to my wife and my mother have told me to get rid of these things.
It's true, they are really worn out. The wallet is cracked and there are some pretty significant holes forming in the folds. There's a little Kerropi patch on it (yes it's a Hello Kitty wallet) that gets closer to falling off every day. It has loose strings all over it, and the Velcro no longer resembles Velcro, it looks more like some really worn out nasty carpeting. The backpack is no better. A pull for one of the zippers is broken off, and sometimes it's a real pain in the ass to open it. The right strap is just about to break off of the bag. Both straps are worn out, their original cushioning flattened by years of use.
But I can't get rid of them.
For one thing, there's no reason. True, that backpack strap does need to be fixed, and when it breaks, instead of throwing it away I will take it to an alteration shop and have it repaired. It's not like I couldn't buy another one, I mean I have 2 or 3 other bags that would work just as well.
Same goes for the wallet. I could just pitch it and get a new one, probably something made of leather. I could get one of those money clips that holds your money and also has a place for all your cards. But I just can't see a point to doing it. It still works. It serves it's purpose. True, by a design standard it's probably better suited to a little kid, but what do I care?
Sometimes it's more about what something has been through, it's history I guess than it's functionality. Both of these have been with me to the other side of the globe. When I'm on an out of town trip, I know exactly where to put each item in my backpack. My wallet has a certain feel in my pocket. It took years for me to be able to get that feel, and now I think if I changed it it would throw my whole world into chaos.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that shiny and new isn't always the best way. Sometimes we're better served by the things that have served us in the past, and we owe it to them to show some loyalty. No one or thing wants to or should be replaced just because they or it has lost that once new sheen.
Just something to think about.

2 comments:

kat said...

this was entry was great. i have a pair of vans i cant get rid of. i should, they're gnarly. i dont even wear them anymore. but i cant get rid of them. there's a lot of history and security in those shoes. i cant totally relate. :)

Thomas Lovely said...

hey, just cause something is old and beat up doesnt mean you have to throw it away. like us it has character.